Wednesday, May 9, 2012

humanity

Some one who takes care of the unknown - willingly or unwillingly - yet paid very very less compared to the current living standards!!

Nurse : How often we think of them and thank them for their dutifully done work??

Somehow more than doctors , I respect Nurses. If Doctors are God, Nurses are Mother.

Some join the course thinking its a service to humanity/God ( i doubt if such kinda people still exists in today's world ,the ratio might be very minimal in this case ).Some join this course since they cannot afford for medical seats.As far as I know, these are the two categories in which we can broadly classify them.Whatever might be reason of joining, these nurses are absolutely marvelous. He/She , though at times,  literally shouts at us ( mostly due to work pressure I guess ) most of the time, they are genuine and humble.

Last year or so , once my mom got discharged from the hospital, she was waiting to thank the nurse who treated her. When we thanked her , she said " pray to god that we should be healthy and should never fall sick so that we can server you better" . How true !!!

But one thing I don't understand is their pay. Why do they get paid very less??? Why is that our people consider Nurse job as a cheap one or a job related to community/caste ?? Why is that they are respected more in abroad than in our own motherland?? Why on earth that govt does not realize that as much as they need doctors, they need nurses too...

One of my friend even after 2.5 years of experience , still earns only 8.5K per month. How can one survive with 8.5K and work for 9 hrs . On the other and, one of my friend a  s/w person earns 60K per month with 1.5 years of experience  without much physical work ???  From which angle s/w engineer is better than a nurse??? ( I am myself an s/w for that matter..I get this question very often. )


Should not there be some respect for humanity.Why is that we all run behind money?? Once I had to take  few tests for general checkups. The lad technician there was asking about my studies, etc etc. She then said, her daughter is doing BCA and was inquiring about  job opportunities. She also said that , she never wanted her daughter to take lab technician course or nursing because of the low salary package. I could see the hopes in her eyes .Her daughter entering IT and earning big sum and uplifting her family.Nothing wrong in her point.But just because of salary package, I felt we lost another good lab technician / nurse .

We are to be blamed. The government is to be blamed. I literally ask some of my friends to go abroad and earn as much as possible and come back to India just for enjoying the retirement life. How long can one live in India for 8k sal. Even after 5 years, I am sure their sal will no cross 15 K. Agreed govt staffs get paid a little more, but how many govt hospitals are there and how many vacancies are there ?????

This was a long pending post, I was reading some post related to doctors and was reminded that I had to write about Nurses!

4 comments:

Jeevan said...

It’s a noble service that no one can deny and what they earn is obvious which showcases their protest these days. About the lab technicians, they are very kind and care taking of patients… as I used to receive them at home for taking blood sugar test and they are very careful that I don’t get hurt by syringe and enquire about my health and general. I wish they are taken care by government and realize and give prior respect to them compare to other fields. Money is not a matter when serving from heart, but to survive and keep serving we need it. Great post ramya :)

Rahul Bhatia said...

It is good that you value the services of others :) Not many people in the world are so considerate!

KParthasarathi said...

There can be no two opinion that the devotion and sincerity that nurses bestow on patients is of high order and not easily found in other professions.There are afew blacksheeps every where.
But salary is dependent on the profits of hospitals and cannot be compared to IT sector.They mmake huge money and they share with employees.Such disparities are there and salaries are dependent on demand and supply.Look at pilots and see how they want more

Ramya Ranganathan said...

@Jeevan : " Money is not a matter when serving from heart, but to survive and keep serving we need it "
This is exactly what I meant... !! Thanks

@Rahul : Thanks Rahul :)

@KP : Agreed with revenue part.There are demands for nurses too. But why is IT booming but other professions are going down.. The reason is ..IT is the short cut to earn money. NO one has patience these days! So is the result of such disparities.